due to an extremely disappointing number of submissions, we have decided to push back the deadline for hoax #6. we are now taking submissions until the first week of november.
if you are interested in submitting, we strongly suggest that you let us know as soon as possible. we are both more than happy to work with you during every stage of the writing process.
remember, hoax #6 cannot happen without your efforts.
as previously stated, the topic of hoax #6 will be feminisms & COMMUNICATION!!!
potential ideas for material include, but are not limited to:
- how we utilize the various creative mediums to express ourselves: ie art/music/playwriting/dance/zines etc.
- language: terminology / identifications / labels / who is allowed to use certain terms / reclamation
- media: various types / their historical & cultural relevancy / effectiveness for social change / the decline of print media / online activism & social justice movements
- visibility: how we choose to communicate our identities (verbally and non verbally) / how different communication styles “out” us / secrecy / how we talk & to whom / where do you draw the line in sharing certain information (online, at yr job etc.)
- non-verbal communication: how we “read” and then judge others / body politics & gendered expressions (“passing” and “body work”)
- consent: expressed vs. body language / legacy of shitty health class information / talking about queer and/or non-normative sex
- silence: when not to speak / boundaries
- relationships: communicating different with various friends, partners, family members, strangers etc.
- emotion: how it gets intertwined with communication & makes it more or less effective / intensity & whether it will hinder someone’s account as being believable (“too angry” “hysterical”)
- disagreements: how do and should we communicate our ideas to those who disagree with us? / “tone arguments” / should a person with a marginalized identity have to “play nice” when talking to somebody who has privilege over them? / “call outs” & accountability processes / expressing hate & anger
- the self: self-care / where the self ends & community begins / expressing yr needs / creating & sustaining personal boundaries
- accessibility: geographic accessibility / accessibility to language / pretension / the “academic industrial complex”
- networking: action / teamwork / friendships
- space: physical / emotional
- legislation: policy / community organizing / the importance of local action
we also totally need lotsof artwork (photos, collages, illustrations, drawings, paintings, comics, etc.)! particularly for background designs and things that compliment the written material.
people of all backgrounds & genders are welcome to submit!
we are looking forward to seeing yr work!
sari & rachel