[img: a beautiful brown and black striped cat named inanna looking out of the frame of the picture while a copy of hoax #5 covers her like a blanket and a can of natty boh (baltimore brand of beer) sits to her right.]
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - HOAX #7
The topic of Hoax #7 will be feminisms and CHANGE. We are eager for feminists of all backgrounds & genders to submit!
Potential ideas for material include, but are not limited to:
- Goals: how we aim to act & who we want to become / thinking about the future of feminism / short term vs. long term planning
- Measuring Change: methods in which we attempt to gauge change (grant cycles, report cards, the DSM, etc.) / is change quantifiable? / a-ha moments in which we have observed noticeable differences in our communities / “normative” & expected changes (in terms of personal & community development, growing up, queerness as “a phase,” recovery, etc.) / delusions of “progress” / changes that have not necessarily been positive/ inspirational stories
- Development: colonization & gentrification / community organizing (strategies, personal stories etc.) / feminist & queer geography / international gender issues / re-location
- Loss: grief / assimilation / death of someone close to you / dealing with trauma
- The Body: changing relationship our bodies over time (aging, weight, political beliefs, surgeries, etc.) / the “love yr body!” expectation within feminism (critiques of this expectation; positive stories) / body modification
- The Self: personal growth & ways in which feminism has (or has not) pushed & challenged us / self-care & feminism / “the personal is political” – the importance of that statement paired with the necessity of challenging it / do we have a “true self” that escapes change? / how “coming out” alters the way that we relate to others & vice versa / stuff that others have tried to change about us (through force, coercion etc.)
- Legislation: the pros & cons of legislative reform / does “radical” always mean a rejection of legislative reform? / obtaining legal aid / social factors that impact our relationship to the cops / when & if can the master’s tools be used to fuck with the master’s house
- Visibility / Communication / Media: how our personal changes are showcased & read / self-expression (or lack thereof) & how it relates to feminism, queerness, zine making, etc / books, movies & music which have influenced us / changing nature of information sharing as it relates to feminism/ how the media has changed our perception of time & social justice work/ personal exposure & secrecy
- Relationships: our feminism has impacted our interpersonal relationships (with family, friends, partners etc.) /relationships between who we are and what we can (& cannot) do / trying to change ourselves in order to feel accepted / how does (& doesn’t) feminism accommodate people who hold different identities & come from different backgrounds
- Language: evolution of terminology & identity descriptors / nuances of identity politics in feminist & queer circles / what terms we embrace and cast aside over time / applications of the “feminist” label
- History: unearthing connections with our predecessors / relationships to feminists & queers of the past / importance of historical perseverance / traditions (when to keep & to alter) / personal reflections & retrospections
we also totally need lots of artwork (photos, collages, illustrations, drawings, paintings, comics, etc.)! particularly for background designs and things that compliment the written material.
please aim to send us yr amazing material to hoaxzine (at) gmail (dot) com by may 15th, 2012. if you are interested, feel free to e-mail us yr ideas for topics & artwork! as always, we are willing to work with you during any and every stage of the writing process. the sooner you send us yr work, the better!
also, we are still distributing back issues of hoax #3 – feminism & health, hoax #4 – feminism & hirstory, hoax #5 – feminisms & community, and hoax #6 – feminisms & communication, in addition to our perzines. please check out our etsy shop or email us if you would like to obtain any of these issues!
it’s been almost three years since we first began working on hoax. since 2009, hannah montana has been taken off the air, carrie brownstein picked up her guitar again, ugg boots are even more out of style, & those of us in the US can officially be detained indefinitely. neither of us can believe how much this project has expanded since its inception. thank you so much to every contributor, reader, & supporter of this zine!
we are looking forward to seeing yr work!
sari & rachel (and inanna)